- Are you a retired Steelworker? Stay active with the union through the Steelworker Organization of Active Retirees (SOAR).
SOAR is open to all United Steelworkers retirees, their spouses, widows or widowers.
• You'll stay connected, maintaining friendships and making new ones.
• You'll know where you or your local chapter can turn to for assistance.
• Your voice, along with thousands of others, will have an impact on decisions affecting retirees.
• Your concerns will be heard at our union's district, national and international conferences.
• You'll have access to group insurance for retirees, including home, auto and travel insurance.
SOAR meets monthly on the last Tuesday of the month at 25 Cecil Street. Contact Elaine at 416.977.7274 to get involved.
Chapter 1 Invites You To Join
Monthly Update: September 26th, 2017
The Meeting was called to order and the Agenda was read out.
Roll call of Officers
The minutes to the previous meeting were read by Hollis and were M/S/C
The financial report was given by Linda Urquhart and the report was M/S/C
Correspondence was read
Gueast Speaker - Michael Lewis introduced the guest speaker for this month:
Adriane Paavo currently works at the Steelworkers National Office as the head of the Education and Equity Department. Adriane spoke today on the issue of Child Care. The lack of affordable, Accessible, Quality child care is hurting workers both men and women. She spoke on the issue of retirees being a plan B for their children as their answer to their child care needs and in alot of cases the retirees turn out to be plan A because of the lack of the type of child care listed above.
What can be done:
- Replace parent fee Subsidy systems
- Affordable fees geared to income with a cap
- Expand availability
- End the crisis in recruitment and retention of Staff: Professional Pay, Decent working conditions and Training and Development
Adriane showed a brief video and wrapped up the discussion with a challenge to the Soar group that being having a representative speak on the issue on October 20th with other Soar members there for support. After some discussion John Humphrey agreed to speak on the issue with the support of fellow soar members.
Thank You driane for a very well informed presentationas wellas the challenge to the group hopefully we can help make a change through participation in the discussions on October 20th.
with no new Business the 50/50 draw was held and the meeting was adjourned.
Soar Chapter 1 monthly meeting and events for 2017/2018
Tuesday October 31st , 2017 11:00am Monthly Meeting
Tuesday November 28 , 2017 11:00am Monthly Meeting
Tuesday December 5th, 2017 11:30am Christmas Luncheon
Tuesday January 30th , 2018 11:00am Monthly Meeting
Tuesday February 27th, 2018 11:00am Monthly Meeting
Tuesday March 27th, 2018 11:00am Monthly Meeting
Tuesday April 24th, 2018 11:30am Spring Luncheon
Tuesday May 29th , 2018 11:00am Monthly Meeting
Tuesday June 26th, 2018 11:00am Monthly Meeting